Potato Haystack
2lb. ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 1/2 lb. shredded potatoes
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 c. sour cream
1 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper
3/4 c velveeta or cheddar cheese
1/2 bag taco chips, crushed, opt.
brown beef. Add seasoning and simmer for 10 min. Put in the bottom of 9x13" pan. Combine hash browns, ranch dressing mix,salt, sour cream and milk. Spread on top of hamburger. Melt butter. Add flour. Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir in cheese. Pour over potatoes. Bake at 350* for 1 hr. or until bubbly. top with chips.
* I substituted the dressing mix and milk with regular Ranch dressing. It works great to freeze this casserole. Just thaw it and then bake!! Yummy!
Wet Burrito Casserole
2 lbs. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
* Brown beef and add onion.
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
*Add and simmer for 5 min.
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 c. sour cream
* Mix together. Spread half of mixture in bottom of 9x13" pan. Reserve remaining mixture.
10 soft tortilla shells
4 c.cheddar cheese, shredded cheese
* Put meat mixture on center of tortillas. Roll up and lay side by side in pan. Pour remaining soup mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Optional: top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and salsa.
This recipe is a great freezer recipe! Just freeze, thaw, and bake!
I'm getting excited about my end of April cooking day that will feed us for May and June! I'm gathering my recipes, going through my pantry/freezer and making my grocery list... looking for coupons. \"/ I'm trying to 'think more out of the box' this time.
I'm trying to decide if I'm a couponer or not. I'm probably not. Sometimes I about feel addicted and the next I'm depressed and couldn't care less. I do have a cute, pink little coupon file. \"/ It's so hard to coupon in our area! We have no stores that double coupons. And it's not exactly an easy thing to drive 30-45 min and go to 5-6 stores w/ 2 children, just to catch the deals. And is it even a DEAL if you drive that far??!! For me it's not. Sometimes I think it is next to impossible to save money! So far this month I've saved around $12 by using coupons. I guess it's $12...
Today I was in the mood to bake pie!! So I made 4 big ones and 1 little one. Aubrey was a very faithful helper! \"/ Needless to say, we had flour all over!
This past week my friend, Suzanne came for a few days. It was such fun having her here and catching up again!! Our lives are so, so, so different from 10 yrs ago!!! Ahh, how life changes!
Must run... Blessings to all!!
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for the recipes! I'll have to put both of those on my list of things to make!
ReplyDeleteMake sure to update once you do freezer cooking again! I'd love to hear what food you're making! Maybe it will give me some inspiration!
I'm sure Aubrey was delighted to help!! And what child doesn't like flour?! Love you! Rhoda
ReplyDeleteI am contemplating this freezer cooking thing...just don't know if I have the energy for such a marathon! :)
ReplyDeleteAs far as coupons go, yes $12 is $12. :) But if I lived where you do I would be frustrated as well. Not having good coupons in your Sunday paper and few stores to "coupon" at such as drug stores or stores that double coupons will definteely reduce your options. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) :)
Also, you probably don't buy a lot of things that I would such as cereal, bread, and mixes. But I think you are doing a great job by feeding your family healthy food. I was excited to get boxes and boxes of whole wheat pasta for .50 with coupons, awhile back. I am trying to feed my family healthier food. :)
I will have to try the potato haystack recipe. It sounds so good. As for couponing, I'm slowly easing into it. But it's not for everyone. A momma with a bunch of littles makes it harder. I was told last week at Walgreens that if I really want to coupon, I should not have my children with me because distractions aren't good for couponers. I threw back my head (Wanda style) and laughed out loud. Anyway, I'm far from smart or a die hard. So tell me you gave some pies away? Or did you all only eat pie for every meal? And you had company? Wow. You should post pics again. Is this long enough or should I just call you sometime?
ReplyDelete