I am so very thankful for everything that God has blessed us with! The children are still sleeping so I thought I'd quickly take a couple minutes and write down a few things that have been going through my mind lately...
I haven't been able to get the Haitians out of my mind. That is probably a good thing. It makes me view my life/house/circumstances in a total different light! I heard about the earthquake Wednesday morning, but it didn't really soak in until I went online and saw pictures. I think the one that affected me the most was a man holding his dead little girl and crying. She looked about Aubrey's size. Of course, with their poor nutrition, it could be that she was several years older, but I keep thinking about what that would feel like to hold my dead child... It makes me shudder and a lump comes into my throat. I can't seem to forget the little 6 month old Haitian baby that Wes and I support through Compassion International. About a month ago we got a letter from her mom with pictures. She was so cute. I wonder if she's ok and if she is, is somebody taking care of her? I'd like to just go down and get her and bring her back with me...
Yesterday I threw out some food; I felt so guilty. I sit in my house w/ a candle burning, plenty of food and clothes and water and I feel really guilty. I'm not doing anything... or at least that's the way it seems... I pray for the people there, the Haitians and the relief workers. I pray that God would keep my Uncle Lavon and my cousin Kevin safe... But it still feels like I'm not doing much. I came up with a plan... :) By nature, I love to 'fix' problems! This is a problem that I can not fix, but if I have a plan, well, it seems like I'm at least helping! :)
Several weeks ago, my friend Rachal, Giving Back to Him had a post on eating out of her pantry. Like only buying the nessesities, like milk, eggs, butter, fruits and veggies, and see how long you can eat with the 'stock pile' of food that most of us have in our houses. I'd didn't try it - then. But I'm going to now. I've been saving money, lately... or trying to, I should say. I have a list of things that I want. i thought if I saved the money for them myself, it would justify, since none of them are needs. Anyway, I'm getting really excited about saving my 'excess' grocery money, doing without a few things that I want, and giving it to somebody who actually needs it...so that is my plan for how I can help. I'm going to plan my menus and go through my freezer/ pantry, and then I will try to share it w/ you!
**************************************************************************************
Now for the special supper we had the other night... I didn't get any pictures. We didn't even use pretty dishes. Somehow not everything went quite like I'd planned. I did light a candle, which little Miss Aubrey thought she NEEDED to blow out. (for some reason, she thinks all candles should be blown out!) But we did have a yummy supper and here is the recipe for....
Rotisserie Chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. black pepper
Mix all together and rub on both sides of chicken. (the recipe calls for a whole roasting chicken, but I just used leg quarters and it worked great!) Place on a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 - 6 hrs. Bake at 300 for 2 hrs. Yummy, yummy, yummy!!! Wes loves this chicken!!!
My sugar free chocolate pie didn't taste to bad, but it needs alittle 'work done on it'... so once I have that perfected, I will share it with you!!! :)
May God bless you w/ a wonderful day!!!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The chicken sounds good! Lets make some when I come in March. :) I laugh at Aubrey thinking candles NEED to be blown out. :) Funny girl... I miss her!
ReplyDeleteThe crisis in Haiti is so huge! It should impact us! I love the idea of living out of the freezer/pantry, etc. I just might have to try it.
ReplyDeleteFunny Aubrey...I miss you all very badly!! And with what you were thinking about Haiti, I wish so bad I could go down, but am trying to be patient & pray. Anyway, maybe I can call you someday!:) Tomorrow looks like it might be full. I want to go talk to Chris about that baby in the morning if I can, so you can pray for me!:) I would be delighted beyond words (I think!) if something could be worked out!!! Love you all...Dorcas
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah for shareing your thoughts. I to hold my little family closer. After seeing all those pics on line I realize that I have been blessed beyond words. Right now my girls have been sick for 5 days and I feel weary, but I still have them to love and for that I am so thankful. God is good!!!Love VaLita
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteNow this is putting your money where your mouth is! A lot of people say Oh I would love to help and don't actually do anything. Your idea of using your "excess" money is a great idea! Saving money is one thing, but saving it to give to the needy is truly a sign of having your heart in the right place! Blessings to you!