I love Christmas! I love being with family and friends and seeing the delight on children's faces as they tear open their presents. I love baking cookies and the little hands that try to help. But somehow, it feels rather bittersweet this year. I have so much and some others have so little. My family is the same size as it was last year. Others have a missing family member.
This past Friday, we were privileged to be invited to a 4th Birthday party for Kyler's sweet little friend, Vance. Kyler loves Vance, talks of him often and could hardly wait until Friday! They share a mutual love for Thomas and Friends and can play trains for hours. His beautiful Mommy had planned an adorable party! The food was even in train cars! It was so fun to be with other women for awhile and the kidders had a great time. \"/
After the party, I packed everybody up and we set off to find Daddy and drop something off where he was working. We were all excited, because he almost NEVER works close to home and we almost NEVER get to see him in the middle of the day.
As I drove out their driveway, I glanced up on the hill, where the pretty white fence surrounds Vance's Daddy's grave. I felt sad. We went down the road and passed the cross/flowers which marks the spot where Vance's Daddy went to be with Jesus. It always puts a lump in my throat. Our thoughts are not God's thoughts. Somethings just seem unfair.
I turned the radio on and the first thing I heard was the news of the school shooting in Ct. I felt horror and anger. I glanced back at my beautiful, full of life, 5 yr old. A natural death of a child/family member would be hard enough to work through. I can not imagine how it would feel if somebody just heartlessly gunned them down! I can't describe the emotions I felt.
Aubrey was worried we wouldn't be able to find Daddy. We found him. The drive way was curvy, with loose gravel and mud on each side. Then I discovered that, due to the lumber truck that had arrived there before I did, that I must back out the driveway. I nearly had a meltdown. yes, I know. Helpless woman I am. I will blame it on the frame of mind that I was in. Wes came to our rescue and helped his helpless wife out of her dilemma. I love him.
Friday night we had our little family Christmas party. My house was dirty. Instead of a 'fun' supper, they only got soup. But we were all together. That's really all that mattered.
I love my little family. \"/
Mya was NOT in a good mood, which was probably due to her nap being cut 1 1/2 hrs short.
Her beloved Veggie Tales cheered her up. \"/
We gave Aubrey and Kyler legos. Wow! That was a very smart purchase! I was afraid they might be a little above their level, but they were thrilled!
Kyler gets distracted by Bob and Larry.
This young lady went to bed early. The rest of us played legos and ate dessert. \"/
Aubrey's house and car. \"/
Kyler's tractor and barn. His farmer, cow, and puppy didn't make the picture.
The gluten free concoction that I created. Thankfully, they loved it. \"/
Let the cookie baking begin! \"/ My intentions were to make gf monster cookies. But Aubrey wanted to use her little pan to make "an M&M cake for Daddy".
And Kyler wanted to use the mini muffin pan that I got for FREE, to make tiny "M&M bites". \"/ I love my little bakers.
Oh how I love them! Keep the gluten away from Kyler and he is the sweetest little guy. But, when he gets gluten, oh my...
Last night we attempted to go Christmas caroling with our church. It rained. /"\ So the men went and passed out the fruit plates and the women and children stayed at church. Our children were so disappointed. I thought it was cute how they love to go caroling and had been anxiously awaiting last night. But it was not to be. Maybe next year...
Aubrey's first grade books arrived in the mail. We are so excited! She dances to the little ABC songs on the cd that came along. \"/ I'm using the A.C.E. first grade for her. She loves school! I always dreamed of teaching school. My dreams were slightly different then the sometimes challenging reality that I live. \"/ In my dreams, there wasn't a toddler running around, cleaning out cupboards, scribbling on books, and just being her little 'Mya' self.
I must run. May you all feel the love of God in a special way this Christmas season!!
Monday, December 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your Christmas supper sounds very special indeed. Loving our kids is the most important gift we can give them anyway. Nothing like tragedy to put your world into perspective. I'd love some more gf recipes if you ever get bored...and I love the legos, the dessert, the wall hugging child, and the pictures of the children w/ their beautiful mommy. Hugs to you this Christmas!
ReplyDeleteSuch fun pictures!! I came to your blog again. Just to look at them! :)
ReplyDelete