Yesterday I had a Dr appointment for a follow up on my legs. (For those of you that don't know, I had a phlebectomy a year ago and have been doing follow up ever since. A phlebectomy is when they make a tiny incision and remove part of your vein. It hurts, but if it takes away those horrible varicose veins, I'm happy to do it!!) I thought He was just going to remove one vein and so I went by myself. It turned out to be a much bigger ordeal with 8 incisions on the right leg and 5 on the left.
I discovered that driving 2 hours with your legs all wrapped up isn't quite as easy. AND that carrying a sleeping toddler up 14 steps when you can't bend you legs is slightly difficult. AND mopping a bathroom floor kind of hurts. A child had a "naughty bottom and the poop went on the floor." (the child's exact words) Indeed, of course.
Anyway, while I was laying on the narrow little table and he was poking and cutting me, the DR and the nurse were asking me about my family and just all sorts of things. ( they earlier one time, at another appointment, asked me how we met. They decided we must still be in love, because they thought I talked about it in an almost 'dreamy sort of way'.) The nurse just recently got married and is leaving for her honeymoon on Saturday., Later, while she was bandaging me up, she asked me a question that completely took me off guard. "So how long have you been married again?" I said 7 1/2 years. "That's a long time", she replied. "Do you have any good tips on how to stay happily married?" I was slightly startled by her question, but I think the thing that caught me the most was the almost reverent way that she said, "That's a long time!" My brain was whirling and I said, "Oh, I don't know." Then she said," Well, maybe you are both easy going. Or at least you seem easy going. Is your husband too?" Well, yes he is. Very. He does not get excited easily at all and I like to tell him that the most impulsive thing he's ever done is ask me out!! ( BTW, I asked Wes last night if I am easy going. Ha! \"/)
I left feeling almost ashamed. I should have had a better answer. Although, I'm not at all sure that there is a short and easy answer. The truth is that we have had our issues. Major ones, too. Usually, I am the one acting childish. Wes is quick to apologize and is one of the most flexible people I know. I'm quite sure that helps, but it's not the answer.
And so, ever since, I've been thinking about her question and what I should have/could have said to her. And so far my answer comes down to two words. God and Commitment.
I have learned that there is no formula for a happy marriage, however, having a happy marriage does not come by accident. For us divorce is not an option. We are committed to each other for life. And we have chosen to have a happy marriage; which basically means that we have chosen to work through issues when they come and not sweep our problems under the carpet. But God is the biggest answer. He is the glue that holds us together.
And my kiddos are awake and are eating Oatmeal cookies. I need to hobble to the kitchen and give them a decent breakfast.
Have a blessed day! \"/
How would you have answered her question?
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think sometimes that I just got lucky, but i don't believe in luck so that's not a fair answer.:) I agree w/ facing the difficulties because divorce is not an option....and looking for the good, praising him often, doing things to make life sweet for him, laying down self...time and again...saying I'm sorry....it's not easy, but it's an amzing life being married to your best friend when you are both 100% committed. Love you. The surgery sounds yucky but I hope you're feeling better soon!
ReplyDelete