Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The 'Why' Behind my 'Sugar free Ambition'

This story goes back about 6 yrs. When I was around 17, I began to experience severe fatigue, painful periods, extreme cravings for sweets, and several other symptoms. Not knowing what was going on, I continued to live my life the best I could and labeled myself as 'needing extra sleep'.
Wes and I started dating in Feb. of '04. He was wonderful, I was happy, but my health kept declining. By that summer, I was a couch potato. A couch potato and a boyfriend don't go together to well, but Wes made it known that he wasn't about to give me up and that he would wait this whole thing out. :) The Dear, dear man!! :)
To make a long story of searching for answers short, one day my chiropractor mentioned yeast infection ( Candida is another term for it) to my Mom. We grabbed onto it as a thread of hope and I began to research online. A Medical Dr isn't to much help on a subject like this, unless he's naturally minded. They usually tell you to "get a cream at Walmart and that will clear it up no problem", or give you antibiotics, which will take it away for a month or so and then it comes back, twice as bad as before.
We all have yeast in our bodies. Many things can trigger an overgrowth of yeast, but a few of the worst ones are Steroids, antibiotics and pain killers. If you need to take antibiotics for a long period of time, or a very strong dose, the best thing to do is to take a good pro biotic to counter act it. Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your body along with the bad. When you no longer have enough good bacteria in your body to 'take care of the bad', your body becomes vulnerable to all sorts of infections and yeast is one of them.
By the time I got married, I thought I was 'cured'. I didn't really watch how or what I ate. With both babies, my placenta has mysteriously began to deteriorate long before my due date. Both times I ended up with MANY ultrasounds and we would watch as my fluid level went lower and lower and the baby became stressed out. Both times I ended up w/ a C section because the baby had to come out NOW. This is not a fun experience! Of course w/ a C section I'm pumped full of painkillers and every time my Candida became worse. In Doing research, I've discovered that Candida does very very bad things to your reproductive system along w/ everything else in your body. Candida can cause miscarriage, infertility, placenta problems, etc. Finding that info has caused me to begin on a journey that I hope will change my/our lives.
I won't go into detail of everything I've done to try to take care of my yeast infection. If you really want to know, email me and I would be happy to help you out.
What I have learned in this long process, is that you can never totally 100% take care of a yeast infection... as long as you eat the way normal Americans eat. ( If you have, please let me no!!) It requires a life style change, a complete change of your eating habits. And that is why I'm changing the way we eat.
I went on a diet for 2 wks to 'kill' my candida. ( Some ppl need to do it for longer. It depends on how bad you are and your body will let you know!!!) Those two wks I ate no sugar, no flour, no dairy except for some cheese, and only ate 25 g of carbohydrates a day. ( You will find all sorts of different opinions online as to what you should eat and not eat. I'm just sharing what I decided to do and it seems to be working.) What did I eat? There's actually an amazing amount of things you can eat, it all depends on your choices. After those 2 wks, I started adding plain yogurt to my diet and an occasional piece of homemade whole wheat bread. And you gradually keep adding a few things back into your diet. Your body will tell you if you are eating things you shouldn't!
Now I'm trying to stay away from sugar and white flour. I try to go heavy on the veggies and salads and protein and light on the starches and carbs. I feel better! It's amazing!
I don't know if this will take care of my problems during pregnancy or not. I'm hoping it will, but I guess I will just have to wait and find out! :)
So this is why I'm trying to cook healthier. If you have ? let me know. I don't have a lot of answers, but I'd be happy to pass on any info that I've learned!!
If anybody reads this and has knowledge on this subject, I would love to hear from you!!

On a completely different note, for those of you who are still reading, I rocked my 16 month old baby to sleep today!! :) It was fun!!!! I almost NEVER rock Kyler to sleep anymore. He is now a big boy and goes to sleep in his crib. But it made me realize how much I miss rocking my baby to sleep. I know there is a GREAT deal of controversy on this subject, but if you want my opinion, a Mom misses something by not rocking her babies to sleep. I'm not saying you are a bad Mom if you don't!! I'm just saying I think you miss out on some very special bonding time. Now once they are old enough to fight and scream and you are in the chair for an hour, I lose all interest... they can scream in bed! But he was so sweet today, just cuddled up to me and looked at me w/ his sleepy little eyes and went right to sleep!! Ahh.. Kyler, I love you!!!!

God bless you all!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this diet make over is working for you! And hopefully it will be the answer for future pregnancy's.

    I have struggled and struggled over my littlest one, but she won't let me put her to sleep. Ever since she's 9 months old, if we were at a strange place and I couldn't just lay her in her crib, Daddy was the only one who could put her to sleep. At least he can, but it makes me feel like such a failure sometimes. I know I pry' missed it when I never rocked her at a younger age, but I must confess, I have been extremely busy during her short life span, and a lot of days, it was survival of the fittest! Her and I still seem to have a special relationship, so I hope it wasn't too damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your candida story interesting. I have been through antibiotics SO MUCH and right now I'm in a fit of dark of some sort. Last May I had a miscarriage. So you can see why I found this all so interesting. The actions I"m taking for myself right now is to just be accountable to two of my sisters and just trying to drink more and exercise and get more veggies and protien....and I surely dont' have that down pat yet. Thanks for sharing. By the way I keep a blog you're welcome to come see...but first I should send an invite as I keep it private. So email me at ymaevangel@gmail.com and I will send you an invite! Good to see you and your life again! Amy(Skrivseth) Burkey

    ReplyDelete